New York Subway
Category: Travel - General
Status: 5 tokens - Active
Im visiting NYC for 10 days at the end of this year and want to use the subway for a majority of my transportation. What do I need to use the subway and how do I know which trains to get on?
New York subway is one of the largest subway systems in the world. It is the most efficient ways to get around the city. But it wasn’t called the Human Rubik’s Cube for nothing. It is very possible you might not reach your destination if you are not careful.
According to this step-by-step guide on how to use the NYC Subway, first thing you should do is download the subway map on your phone. It is very important especially if you are a newbie. Second is you have to use a MetroCard or OMNY system to be able to access the subway. OMNY payment system is your best option since you are staying in New York for just 10days. You can just tap your phone, smart watch or credit card and you’re in. Third is you have to learn how to read the signages. Don’t be intimated. The important thing to do is plan you route ahead.
You can also watch this very detailed video on how to navigate the NYC subway.
Navigating the New York Subway system can be very daunting, but the easiest and quickest way to travel around NYC is by the subway. Riding the subway is also a fantastic way to feel like a local during your stay in New York.
• Subway trains operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• For $2.75 (the cost of a single ride when using a pay-per-ride MetroCard), you can use the system citywide and transfer to other subway lines as many times as you need, as long as you don’t exit through a turnstile.
• You can transfer from the subway to the local bus or vice versa within two hours of using your pay-per-ride MetroCard (all transfers are free with an Unlimited Ride MetroCard, but it cannot be used at the same subway station or on the same bus route for at least 18 minutes, nor can it be used on an express bus).
• Subway stations on the same line are generally about 8 to 10 blocks apart on local lines (the stops on express trains are usually further apart).
• The subway does not travel to Staten Island. To get there, board the free Staten Island Ferry or take a bus.
These are nine (9) tips on how to use the NYC Subway. I wish you a safe trip!
What's your answer? Login